Wednesday, October 21, 2009

different trip

I got into Bethesda late on Sunday night, the 18th. Shortly after checking into my hotel I received a call from Chris letting me know he was coming to visit me from NYC. The girls had called him, let him know that someone "needs to be with Mom", and he hopped on the bus. He went to the doctor with me on Monday, we had a wonderful lunch, then he headed back home.

Ah, the doctor appointment. My platelts were 9.8 and I needed to be 10 in order to have chemo. 14 is normal. (Sometimes an extra zero is added to the end 98, 100 normal is 140, but other times I think the doctors just shorten it.) They sent Chris and I down to have my liver MRI done with the instructions to come back and they would "do over" on my blood test. When we got down to the MRI department we discovered they had canceled my MRI (too much protien in my urine), so back up we went. This time my platelets had dropped even further to 8.5. No chemo.

By now it was almost noon. Chris and I spent the rest of the day together before he had to head for home.

On Tuesday I went in prepared for chemo, platelets down to 8.1. No chemo. Very upset about it. They did share with me that all the other women on the trial were having the same problem and no one was able to continue there treatment. My CA125 (blood marker) has been going up 400 points per 3 weeks. This time it only went up 200 points. Guess I will take what I can get, and assume this is good news. I was able to catch a flight home, arriving one day earlier than planned. I will have my blood tested here in Bremerton on Friday, with the possiblity of flying back on Sunday (my birthday!)

It is good to be home. A rainy day here, but I'm home with my family instead of watching the rain in Washington D.C.

I am still very unhappy with this blog site. I am having lots of people tell me they can't leave a comment. I need the comments. I need the well wishes, I need friends out there who care. I will be changing the site, but not sure when. Hopefully before my next trip.

All for now.

Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Nancy,
    Thank you for keeping this going. I don't always like what I read but I always love you. I miss you. I think about you very often. I have been overwhelmed with school and feel like i am on a different planet. It is so good to know I can come on here and see what is happening I am in class all day tomorrow. We are being tested on procedures tomorrow. I will call you tomorrow evening. Don't answer if you are having family time. I can call back on Sunday. I just want to hear your voice.I made a pot of tea tonight to do my studying with. Thought of you, it is amazing all the things I think about that make me think of you. I'm holding you in my heart. You are my amazing friend. Please be good to you.Love you, Kat

    ReplyDelete